Britain's Oldest Lorry Driver Delighted, Gets Approval To Continue Career


Gets Approval To Continue Career


Britain's oldest lorry driver who still works 12-hour days at the age of 90 has reportedly received approval from British health authorities to continue working for another year.

According to a report by The Telegraph, the man named Brian Wilson started driving an armored truck in Germany during his national service in 1950.

When he returned to the UK, he began his career as a lorry driver delivering petrol for the Esso oil company in 1953, before eventually taking over his father's transport company.

After 70 years, the father-of-four still wakes up at 4am for 12-hour shifts delivering goods to various places around the UK such as Rochdale, Birmingham and Newcastle.

Wilson needs a full medical report from his doctor every year to get permission to drive on the road. After passing his annual assessment this year, he is very happy to be able to continue his career.

"If I feel healthy enough, then I will continue even though I am getting older. I had to go every year and I'm glad I passed," said Wilson.



Despite driving for more than 70 years


After working for Esso, Wilson began driving for his father's trucking company, E. Wilson & Sons.

He eventually took over the firm when his father died in the 1970s and has run it ever since.

Despite driving for more than 70 years, Wilson is considering retirement next year and plans to travel to Thailand with his wife Mavis, 89, who he met when he was 15 at a fairground.

"I might retire next year but I don't know because it all depends on my wife's condition, as she will be 90 years old.

"But when I retire later, I want to go to Thailand for a few months because one of my children lives in Thailand. He has his own business there and has been there for about 15 years,” Wilson said.

The couple got married six years after they met for the first time. Wilson said his wife, who retired a year ago, encouraged him to continue working.

Wilson never had an accident in his decade of driving, and the longest he ever took time off work was seven weeks when he broke his leg at age 40. He will be 91 years old this March.

«Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts by following us»

No comments:

Post a Comment